The links that connect substance abuse and suicide are undeniable and frightening.
- Between 25 and 55 percent of suicide victims have drugs and/or alcohol in their system at the time of their deaths.
- Interpersonal crises and financial difficulties are common among people who abuse substances, making that population at high risk for suicide attempts.
- Depression and substance abuse often go hand-in-hand, and “feed off of each other.”
- Up to seven percent of people with alcoholic dependence will eventually die by suicide, with middle-aged and older persons at especially high risk.
- Binge drinking among teens has been identified as a predictive factor of suicidal thinking, and binge drinking episodes frequently precede suicide attempts.
If you or someone you know has a substance abuse problem, seek help.